Friday, April 27, 2012
Everyday on the CitizenTube channel (and @CitizenTube on Twitter), along with our curation partners @storyful, we look at how the top news stories are covered on YouTube. Each week we post a weekly recap of the top news stories of the week, as seen through the lens of both citizen-reported footage and professional news coverage.
- We saw the controversial Bahrain F1 Grand Prix proceed on Sunday, despite continuing anti-government protests.
- We monitored the presidential elections in France as Nicolas Sarkozy and François Hollande geared up their campaign efforts ahead of the May 6 French presidential run-off ballot.
- We were shocked at scenes of devastation in Pakistan after a plane crash caused the deaths of over 100 people.
- We watched George Zimmerman secure bail from Seminole County jail after posting 10 percent of his $150,000 bond.
- We followed the GOP candidates as the race for the Republican nomination all but concluded with Mitt Romney's latest primary victories.
- We observed students clash with police in Montreal as a protest over tuition hikes turned ugly.
- We were saddened at the deaths of seven as flash floods swept away a church youth group in Kenya.
- We viewed fading optimism that the presence of UN observers in Syria would decrease violence after 70 people were reported killed in a bomb blast in Hama.
- Finally, we marked Earth Day with a selection of YouTube films uploaded to create awareness of the occasion.
Come back to see the news unfold on YouTube.
Olivia Ma, YouTube News & Politics, recently watched "War and Terror in Liberia: VICE Presents 007."